Useful, down right vital information on voting in 2020. As a pastor, I will never tell you WHO to vote for, but I will encourage you to get out there and vote safely. Make sure your voice is heard and you participate in performing a civic duty many gave their lives for. It is up to each and every one of us.
Be a Living Memorial to the Life of Congressman John Lewis
Ways to honor the memory and legacy of Congressman John Lewis in 2020:
• Simply put, everyone vote!
• • Contact your elected officials and urge them to vote for the John Lewis Act (Voting Rights Renewal Act).
• • Register to Vote in 2020 (deadline October 19, 2020 - PA).
• • Vote by mail, asap, deadlines for the November 3 General Election: 5pm October 27 - Applications must be Received by your county election office. 8pm November 3 - VOTED BALLOTS must be RECEIVED by your county election office - postmarks are not enough.
• • Go to the polls with a friend and vote (being mindful of your safety - COVID-19).
• • Host intergenerational conversations among your relatives about the right to vote (include children).
• • Help Seniors to vote by mail, know the process, know the deadlines, and help them navigate the process.
• • Send out information on social media platforms encouraging the younger generations to vote. • Complete the 2020 Census.
• • Encourage peaceful non-violent protest in open spaces (Not Federal Government Property) and be mindful of COVID-19.
• • Encourage the News Media to cover non-violent protests and not escalate existing tensions.
• • Speak with the younger generations and tell them of the life and passion of John Lewis.
• • Talk to one another about the civil rights struggles of the past and the current civil rights struggle. Discuss the similarities and the differences.
• • Host a family virtual gathering the day of the election and pray for the nation.
“The vote is the most powerful nonviolent tool we have.” John Lewis
Please read and/or listen to a few of the last words of John Lewis: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/30/opinion/john-lewiscivil-rights-america.html
Compiled for circulation by the Philadelphia Baptist Association